Jarveon Williams left UTSA as the program’s all-time leading rusher and a key piece of the Roadrunners’ offense on the way to the team’s first bowl game.
Williams was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Cincinnati Bengals on April 29, joining Jordan Moore as UTSA’s only undrafted free agent signings this offseason.
— UTSA Football (@UTSAFTBL) April 30, 2017
- Team: Cincinnati Bengals
- Position: Running Back
- Experience: Rookie (Undrafted)
Williams has been injured for the bulk of training camp, and was finally cleared to practice last week. According to UPI, he did not participate in OTAs or rookie mini-camp either.
CINCINNATI BENGALS RUNNING BACK DEPTH
- Jeremy Hill, 3 years experience
- Giovani Bernard, 4 years experience
- Joe Mixon, Rookie (Drafted, Round 2)
- Cedric Peerman, 7 years experience (NFI)
- Tra Carson, 1 year practice squad experience
- Jarveon Williams, Rookie (Undrafted)
- Stanley “Boom” Williams, Rookie (Undrafted)
It will be extremely tough for Williams to break through the Bengals’ depth chart to earn a spot on the 53-man roster, with the Bengals likely only keeping four running backs.
2nd-round pick Joe Mixon and returnees Hill and Bernard are locked in for the top three spots, while Cedric Peerman should be selected for his special teams abilities as long as he can return from injury prior to the September 2nd roster cuts.
Cincinnati will likely sign one running back to their practice squad as well, so Jarveon will be competing for that final spot with practice squad returnee Tra Carson and fellow undrafted free agent Boom Williams.
Odds to make 53-man roster: 1%
Odds to make practice squad: 10%
You can watch Williams in the Bengals’ four preseason matchups, including a nationally-televised game against the Washington Redskins in Week 3, which will air on FOX.
CINCINNATI BENGALS PRESEASON SCHEDULE
(all times Central)
Friday, Aug. 11
Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Cincinnati Bengals, 6:30 p.m.
– NFL Network re-air: Saturday, Aug. 12, 12:00 a.m. Midnight
Saturday, Aug. 19
Kansas City Chiefs at Cincinnati Bengals, 6 p.m.
– NFL Network re-air: Monday, Aug. 21, 9:00 a.m.
Sunday, Aug. 27
Cincinnati Bengals at Washington Redskins, 3:30 p.m. (FOX)
– NFL Network re-air: Monday, Aug. 28, 3:00 a.m.
Thursday, Aug. 31
Cincinnati Bengals at Indianapolis Colts, 6 p.m.
– NFL Network re-air: Saturday, Sep. 2, 6:30 a.m.